With a brand new year just kicking off, now is the perfect time to start thinking about some of the things you and your family hope to do in 2017.
Here are some tips to help you and your family make healthier habits in 2017:
- Make it achievable. When trying to make a new habit, decide on something that you can realistically make work. For example, rather than ‘I’m going to go to the gym for an hour every morning before work’, why not try ‘I’m going to move for 20 minutes more every day’.
- Take each day as it comes. Making changes for yourself or for the whole family can feel quite daunting. A useful trick is to concentrate on the day at hand. Tell yourself each day ‘I’m going to do this today, because it’s good for me/us right now’. This way, you stop thinking ‘how can I keep this up?’ and start thinking, ‘today was manageable, I could probably do that again tomorrow!’
- Do it as a team. Get your family or a friend or neighbour on board and do it together. It’s not as easy to back out of once you’ve made a commitment to another person!
- Create switches. Make a note of your family’s favourite meals or foods, and try creating a switch. For example, try making our homemade burgers or pizzas. Get the kids involved by having them come up with their favourite pizza or burger toppings.
- Write down why. It can help keep you motivated when you need it most.
- Be kind. If you or your family slip up, be kind to yourselves and one another. One slip up isn’t a big deal, don’t beat yourselves up, just try to get back on track the next day!
Don’t forget to sign up for your free Good Habits for Life personalised program to help you and your family enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
Article courtesy of Visit Canberra.