It is no secret that food trends exist – a glance at social media will show you what is hot (and delicious) right now.
Here are a few so-now trends that you can easily use at your place to add variety and a bit of the wow factor:
- Overnight oats – our absolute favourite. Is this a new trend? No way! It is an oldie with some clever rebranding. Soak plain old rolled oats in water for at least 30 minutes. Mix through a few big spoonfuls of greek or plain yoghurt and 2 grated apples or pears. Sprinkle with cinnamon and orange zest. Serve for brekky or a snack with fresh or tinned fruit and a sprinkle of nuts and seeds. Perfection!
- Fancy salads – also been around forever but have you noticed that the new salads are absolute riots of colour and texture? To bring your salad up to date, try steaming some veg (broccoli and snow peas are great) and toss through green leaves. Add shavings of parmesan or globs of mozzarella and top with toasted nuts and seeds. Serve with grilled chicken or salmon. Hello 2017!
- Smashed avocado on toast – sure you can pay the big bucks for this at the café or make it at home. Start with toast – sourdough, rye and multigrain are awesome for this treat. Smoosh (pretty sure this is a word) ripe avocado on top and top with a squeeze of lime and black pepper. Up the wow factor by sprinkling with finely chopped fresh chilli.
- French toast – so simple and tasty for an impressive brunch. Use thickly sliced bread (try wholemeal or multigrain to up the health factor) and dip each slice in a mixture of egg and milk. Shallow fry in a frypan lightly sprayed with olive oil for a few minutes each side. Serve with sliced fruit (summer berries shine with French toast) and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
- Poached eggs – yep, been around forever too. And now even easier to make thanks to special poaching pod things. Add your perfectly poached egg to your smashed avocado and wow – instant café credibility at your place.
- Open sandwich – no secrets in this sandwich. Try lean meat with capsicum and tomato slices topped with cheese. Pop under the grill until bubbly golden brown. Serve topped with lots of green salad leaves and cherry tomatoes. Voila!
Article courtesy of ACT Nutrition Support Service.