The goal of Food for Sale is to support schools to provide food and drinks to students that meet the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines and the school’s relevant Food and Drink Policy. This includes food sold at the canteen, during fundraising activities and at school events.
In the ACT, the food and drink policies for Public and Catholic schools follow the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines. These Guidelines use a ‘traffic light’ system to categorise food and drinks. ‘Red’ food items are not permitted to be sold through school canteens and must be limited at school events and fundraisers. Food for Sale can help schools to meet the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines.
In September 2017 we celebrated the success of ACT public school canteens on making healthy food and drink choices the easy choice. In 2017:
- 49% of all canteen menu items across the ACT were GREEN
- 57% of school canteens had no RED items on their menus
- 30 school canteens (this is 42% of schools) met the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines. This means that 50% or more of their menu items are GREEN and they have no RED items.
Support is available to help your school canteen provide delicious healthy food and manage its business operations.
The Food for Sale action area
- Canteen support and advice
- Training on how to apply the traffic light system
- Helps public schools implement the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy
- Provides ideas for delicious healthy food and snacks
- Healthy canteens can reinforce learning in the classroom
- School canteens and events offer opportunities for parents, carers and students to gain hands-on healthy cooking skills
Your Fresh Tastes school can access support, resources and discounts provided by our partners. You’ll find more information in the Fresh Tastes Action Planning Guides that are provided to participating schools. If your school isn’t yet involved in Fresh Tastes, contact us today.
We’ve put together some success stories about how some of our Fresh Tastes schools have approached this action area and achieved some great results.
Healthy Fundraising Guide
School fundraising doesn’t have to involve unhealthy food – you can still raise those vital funds using healthier food options or swapping food for non-food items. Check out the Healthy Fundraising Guide for some fresh fundraising ideas.
Healthy BBQ Guide
Offering healthier options at your next BBQ fundraiser or event can be simple with the right planning, preparation and promotion. Check out Think outside the snag - a guide to planning healthier BBQs for inspiration.