A message to parents about Fresh Tastes
Around one quarter of Canberra’s kids are overweight or obese - it’s a worrying fact. As well as not being active enough, today’s kids aren’t eating enough nutritious food, and they’re drinking more sugary drinks than ever before.
It’s why ACT Government has implemented the Towards Zero Growth: Healthy Weight Action Plan in an effort to get the community working together to change things for the better. Fresh Tastes is one of the actions.
Watch the video below to learn about how Fresh Tastes can support your child's school.
Is your child's school involved?
Make a big difference with a small lunchbox
Lunchboxes can be packed full of yummy foods needed for a healthy diet! You can find some great tips and resources under the Food From Home action area of this website. Check out some success stories to find out how some Fresh Tastes schools have got students excited about healthy lunchboxes.
Already a parent at a Fresh Tastes school?
That’s fantastic – feel free to find out what they’re doing to promote Fresh Tastes and healthy food and drink choices. If you’re keen to lend a hand in some way, then be sure to let the school know!
If your school is focusing on...
- Classroom Learning – you could quiz your child about healthy food and drink choices.
- Cooking Food – ask for the recipes and spend some time preparing and enjoying these with your kids. You may be surprised at how much fun you can have!
- Growing Food – spread the word. Parents and volunteers are often the backbone of any school gardening activity. Donations of tools, soil, rocks, seeds, seedlings, watering cans, mulch and fencing can all make a big difference. Giving a little of your time can see the school’s garden flourish.
- Food from Home – get together with other parents and compile a cookbook with simple, healthy recipes and ideas for children’s lunchboxes.
- Food for Sale – ask if you can help prepare healthy food in the canteen or for a school event, or organise a healthy fundraising activity.